View Single Post
Old 12-28-2006, 10:24 AM   #12

I rode three of them last year.... They are generally two day rides of about 100-120 miles each day. The first day is usually filled with quite a few optional "hero" sections that are pretty tough for a true Dual Sport bike. That being said, there were very few "Dual Sport" bikes in this events. Most guys had plated MX and off road bikes. They had the bare minimum of street legal accessories. Most put the smallest after market mirrors and turn signals on them. The organizers I think just checked for two things, a license plate and the sound level ( very strict on this). I was one of only two KLR650's and the biggest displacement besides us was a 450cc. There were lots of 2-smokes and almost everyone had full knobbies. KTM was the bike of choice as over half the field rode them. I have been told that Southern Ohio DS events are the toughest around. Lots of aging MX and Enduro riders attend these events.

I think a China Bike would do fine as long as you had good knobbies and a strong right wrist. The weight of the KLR kicked my ass.....

The second day had alot less riders and the course was not as tough but still very challenging. I would not suggest new riders attend these events till you have a couple seasons of off road experience. You could ride this event and bypass all the tuff stuff and stay on the dirt township roads. Even then there is some off road areas that you cannot pass up to stay on the course. Here is a couple pictures and a link.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...84#post2749784