View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #1840

China is an interesting country. I've been very fortunate in that my work has allowed me to travel in different parts of the world. China is one of the more interesting places I've been. Turkey and Thailand are high on the list, too. As far as beauty, food, and people go, Baja is at the top of the list.

I've been traveling to China for about 15 years now, and the transformation the country is undergoing is dramatic. 15 years ago, there were very few automobiles and literally hundreds of millions of bicycles. Rush hour in the morning and the evening was a massive wave of bicycles. Today, there are very few bicycles and many, many cars, yet somehow the traffic seems to flow and there are very few accidents.

China is undergoing the largest human migration in the history of mankind (people are moving from the rural areas to the cities, with the government's encouragement). At one point a few years ago when I was in Shanghai, I was told that 25% of all the construction towers on the planet were in service in that one city. This is the view from the Canton Tower in Guangzhou...

To put things in perspective, Guangzhou (the city you see above in a photo I took last year from the Canton Tower) has a population of around 13 million. New York City has about 9 million people. Chongqing, where our motorcycles are manufactured, has a population somewhere north of 30 million.