View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 05:45 PM   #1850

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillskier View Post
I had some cameras from College (Cannon Ae-1, and another early dslr as well.
Will lenses from Cannon fit modern DSLR? If so, that definitely whatI should buy, as those lenses are very good, I have a large selection, and won't need all of them on most rides, even.
Thanks for that help/clarification jimjr21.
Vendor and or a camera suggestion, or re up the blog, though thats a stretch, and undoable for a while, def not doable for my ride back home.
Any camera is better than no camera, and for that matter, a cell phone camera will also work. They are sometimes surprisingly good. If you have a film camera, by all means use it instead of not taking any photos at all. When you have the film developed, the mass market developers will also include a disk with digital images from your film if you ask (and pay) for them to do this. Costco does a very, very good job.

You don’t need a lot of lenses, and in my opinion, you really don't need more than one. When I used to use a film camera, I used one lens (usually a 50mm prime, or nonzoom, lens). You can zoom with your feet (just move toward or away from the subject) and you’ll do well.

The Canon AE-1 is a very respectable 35mm film camera and it will do a fine job. I used the Minolta equivalent (their X-700 model) for a long time. All of the photos on these two pages were with my old Minolta film camera:

http://motofoto.cc/baja_1994.htm

and

http://motofoto.cc/Mexico_Motorcycle_Trip.htm

The disadvantage with film is that you don't get to see your photos until you get the film developed, and you have to pay to get the film developed. You can get outstanding images with film, however. The principal advantage of a DSLR is that you can keep snapping away until you get it right, and you can have instant feedback on exposure and composition. The principal advantage of film is that if that's what you have (i.e., a film camera), you don't have to invest in a new camera. There's an argument to be made that due to the deliberate nature of film, it forces you to slow down and get it right. I would not feel under-equipped taking a film camera on any moto adventure, and I did just that for a lot of years.