View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSpruce View Post
I know I'd like to switch to a 21" front wheel. Is it better to buy a new 21" wheel or re-lace the 18" stock wheel to 21"?
You need to use the stock hub to build the larger wheel. The brake rotor must fit in the brake caliper on the left fork. The speedometer unit must mate with the hub, and lock to the right fork. The hub must also be the exact width to center itself between the forks. Therefore, unless the maufacturer sells a larger wheel with the same hub, you must order larger custom spokes, and lace a larger rim to the stock hub.

There is a very slight chance the hub from my Zongshen ZS200GY-2, or a standard Chinese hub will fit the RX3 forks. I own two such wheels, and I will test them after the RX3 bikes arrive. However, I'm betting I will need to order longer custom spokes, and lace a new rim to the stock hub. I have done this several times before, so I am familiar with the process.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894