View Single Post
Old 02-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #2037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
I'm going to try my hand at relacing a 21". I had Woody's build one for my Tenere but $600 bucks is a little too much. Will more than likely follow your lead. Would be great to have another hub or wheel to work with. I'll more than likely run a T63 up front and a E07 on the rear.
If you don't want to do the job yourself, I will build you a 21-inch wheel for much less than Woody's price. If I sold someone a used rim, I was building custom, 18-inch rear wheels for the Zongshen ZS200GY-2 for less than $300, including shipping in both directions.

If I need to order custom spokes from Buchanan's, I will have them record the specifications with the name Zongshen RX3. Then anyone who wants to build his own wheel can order the custom spokes without needing to repeat the measuring process, et cetera.

I really like the 18-inch, T63 tire for the front wheel. It looks as if it will clear the mud pretty well, yet still handle well on the pavement. However, the problem with mounting these rear tires is the weight. When you put a rear tire on the front wheel, the steering is sluggish, and the unsprung weight of the wheel is very large. A 21-inch front wheel is lighter, quicker to respond, and will definitely surmount off road obstacles much easier than a heavier, 18-inch wheel. In addition, you have a much larger selection of 21-inch tires from which to choose.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894