View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #2148

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzrite View Post
Greetings everyone. I'm Jay from Malaysia, specifically the eastern part (Borneo).

I already paid down payment for this gorgeous RS3 (yeah, Malaysia distributor KTN changed it from RX3 to RS3...but I prefer RX3). Hopefully will get the bike after 10th of March, because it will take some time for it to be shipped from Johor to Kota Kinabalu.

Apparently, I will be the first one here (Borneo) to ride it. Hehe.

Okay, here comes the questions.

I sent an email to CSC (because I'm unable to contact Malaysia distributor, which is KTN, and even their website doesn't show email address, and Joe Berk seems to be a nice dude , asking about the swapping/change of the rear wheel from 15 to 17.

The answer that I get was from Steve (I believe Joe said it somewhere in CSC blog that he's the CEO, basically making him The Man. If it's true, thank you very much Steve!)

Steve said something about the rear hub, about it being solid or cush hub. Frankly, I have no idea about the technicality of wheels, and how to change one.

I also referred to http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14104, and would like to summarize this wheel-changing thingie from my view (which is, very non-expert).

So people, please, bear with me, and do correct me when I'm wrong or spurring out nonsenses.

1) In order for me to change the wheel from 15 to 17 using the stock hub, I would have to:-

a) Check the type of hub on the rear wheel (cannot check it, since haven't received the bike yet)

b) Find a sprocket that can fit the hub that still have the same numbers of tooth in order to maintain the final drive ratio.

c) Find my self a shiny new wheel.

2) Can any 17 rear wheel be fitted with any tyres? I mean, if I want to fit 130/90-17, and decided later to change to 130/70-17, I don't suppose that I have to change the wheel too, do I?

It's hard enough to find the non-existent 15 DS rear tyre in Malaysia. I'm hoping the change from 15 to 17 wheel is not that hard.

Thank you very much for reading, and replying.
Jay,

Welcome to these forums; we are glad you joined us.

Your KTN RS3 has a cush hub, which is the same hub we will receive with our RX3 motorcycles in North America. Therefore, if you want a 17-inch rear wheel, you could purchase one from CSC motorcycles; this wheel will fit your KTN RS3.

The stock sprocket has 44 teeth, and it will work for you. After you receive your motorcycle, you can remove the sprocket carrier from your KTN RS3, and install it in a 17-inch wheel you purchase from CSC.

We will learn more about other sprocket options after we receive our bikes in North America.

You can fit a wide variety of tires to the 17-inch rear wheel. Indeed, you can easily switch from a size 130/90-17 tire to a size 130/70-17 tire, et cetera.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894