View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #2501

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
A fork brace is absolutely unnecessary for 37mm USD forks. USD forks were invented for two main reasons: make the forks stiffer without requiring a fork brace, and lower the unsprung weight of the front wheel.

Because of the front fender supports, I don't think one can easily install conventional fork guards. In the worst case scenario, I would install fork tubes the first time I had the forks disassembled. The fork tubes would fit under the fender and stock fork guards, and would not detract from the bike's appearance. Indeed, the fork tubes would be hardly noticeable. I would secure the ends of the fork tube with zip ties. You could snip one of the zip ties periodically, and lift the fork tube to inspect for oil seal leaks. Of course, you would need to ensure the right fork tube does not abrade the speedometer pickup cable as the forks expand and contract.

However, I suspect the stock fender and lower fork guards do a pretty good job of covering the inner fork tubes. Of course, we will know more regarding this subject after our bikes arrive. Perhaps Katflap can tell us how well the stock equipment protects the lower fork tubes from mud, et cetera.
Another option is fork bags, since they're quite light and reasonably durable. They're cheap enough to have a spare set on hand.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer