View Single Post
Old 04-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #2764

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
How so? Not to be critical but I geuss I'll be critical. Having done all my own maintance on all of my bikes I don't see the Zong being any more expensive then my other bikes, more likely a little less. In all reality the owner ship cost of most most is vastly less if you do all your wrenching. If you ride a lot it's mostly just tires.

Now I have lots farkling plans that I'm sure will cost me a little bit at the beginning.
It's all relative. I'm spoiled. I've been riding TW200s mostly, with sealed batteries, o-ring chains, and all LED and HID lights. A complete service is a quart of oil and a few squirts of various maintenance goos. Takes about an hour. All filters are reusable, chain stretches so slowly adjustments are only needed when wheels with different tires are changed out for different types of riding, tires with Ride On last 20,000 miles, only two valves with the same adjustment style as the RX3, changed the spark plug at 28,000 miles, clutch at 16,000 due to oil mislabeled by supplier ... .

I'm not doing a lot of extras. Ordered the good luggage and center stand. I'm liking the 6 watt LED spots, and I've ordered some super high intensity LED TTL/strobes for the back like those used on emergency vehicles. All the rest of the bulbs will be replaced with LEDs, too. Might do HIDs for headlights, we'll see how the spots do. Probably will snag a sheepskin and some gel grips for comfort, and make some guards to keep the Hippo Hands off the levers in the winter, and that's about it for the bolt-ons. High visibility paint and some type of auxiliary fuel tank is about all the customizing I intend to do. Almost nothing compared to what it takes to get a TW or XT to the same state of readiness.