View Single Post
Old 04-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Nice start. I'd like to see how it turns out

I don't know enough about Harleys to be right, wrong, or indifferent. But I know improvising and like your work stand.

I know what b!t?h getting a tire off a rusty rim can be. This may, or may not, have worked in your case but was taught to me by another improviser in Maine. You need a 5 gallon bucket, two large c-clamps, and two 1x4 boards about a foot long. Place the wheel on the bucket and squeeze the tire between the two boards and c-clamps. Spraying the rim with PB Blaster MAY speed things up a bit. Anyway, clamp everything together as tight as you can, it may break right away or you may need to sit through a double feature but it will pop that bead.

If they were solid rims, I'd tell you to park your truck on the tire and go have a cup of coffee.
I wish I had known these tips on Friday, when I would have passed them on to my illegal Son. He was trying to remove the tires from his old Honda 750, and they've been on there for more than 20 years. He ended up using a reciprocating saw.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer