View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #3085

First oil change: When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
CSC recommends changing oil before starting the bike for the first time. I am used to bikes and cars that come from the factory with what we used to call "break in oil" that should be changed after a few hundred miles. Not that the break in oil was anything special. My understanding is that the bikes are run briefly by Zongshen for testing before crating. Even so, I would think you could run the original oil for a bit before changing. If not 300 or 400 miles, at least for a engine heat-up cycle or two. At least to warm the oil up before draining.

Probably a matter of personal preference.
I notice CSC has a couple of recommendations. On the oil change tutorial it suggests the first oil change should be at 200 miles. But then Joe's blog recommends changing the oil before starting the first time, particularly since some of the bikes are coming over with low oil levels. Again, probably a matter of personal preference. If my bike needs much oil added before starting, I'll probably go ahead and change it with a motorcycle-specific conventional oil, just so I know what's in the crankcase.