View Single Post
Old 04-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #3209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr21 View Post
I am making or having them made.
I wonder if there is room for a stroker crank. That's where the best low speed and midrange gains are found. I'm not going to hotrod an engine that already has enough power to get the job done, especially on a bike that will be used mainly for overnight and day rides on pavement near home, especially since I built a 267cc 6-speed TW200 adventure bike a couple years ago and a 276cc TW200 café racer last year. The main reason I ordered a Cyclone is to limit the lazy cruising miles on the TWs. With the Cyclone taking most of the miles, the adventure TW can be better outfitted for unimproved roads, and the café TW can be peaked for hooliganism. I would prefer a UJM styled street bike for what I'll be doing with the Cyclone, but Suzuki and Yamaha want way too much money for bikes that would require another $1500 in accessories that are already on the Cyclone.

I expect the Cyclone will run about the same as the TW267 on pavement (judging by ride reports) but off pavement the TW's traction and tuned suspension will pass the Cyclone on the outside at will, and the TW, with it's big, aggressive front tire and double front discs, will run way further into corners before needing to back off than the Cyclone. There will be no contest in sand or mud, where the TW's 2-inch wider rear tire will still be driving long after the Cyclone, and everything else, is buried.

My TW276 will walk away from a Cyclone. Half again the horsepower, 140 pounds lighter, and a much smaller frontal area when the rider tucks in. This bike has been clocked at 94mph, at redline, about 7/8 throttle, flat ground, no wind, by a certified police laser. I've since changed the sprocket ratio to redline at 88 to keep first gear more tractable as this engine does not have much off-idle torque off the line. I expect with the right sprockets and a fairing this bike will top 100mph. It has no problem working through a pack of 250cc Japanese and Chinese "sport bikes" on any road with enough curves they can't just wind 'em up, and these are riders who weight 80-90 pounds less than I do. Even the Ninja 300s fall to the mighty Pirate in the curves, except for this one 87-pound whisp of a girl who actually knows how to ride. I can keep up with her, but can't pass her unless she makes a mistake, which is rare. I expect this engine to explode every time I fire it up.