View Single Post
Old 05-01-2015, 12:09 AM   #3252

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Looking good, spud! But you are in serious need of a Shinko on the front. Are you getting the 19" wheel?
Thank you. I agree. You and Qwerty are undoubtedly correct about the front tire.

I took a ride off road today, but before I left, I mounted a Kenda, K270 front tire in size 3.50-18. I decided to mount the Kenda K270 in front instead of a Shinko 244 for the following reasons. Both tires are the same width, but the Kenda K270 is a little taller, and the K270 has a slightly more aggressive tread pattern.

I expected some ruts, and some talcum powder dust. Therefore, I knew it was time to mount the K270 front tire before my ride. Little did I know the conditions I would face in April.

Riding across the Snake River Plain toward Big Southern Butte, I encountered mile after mile of ruts covered with inches of talcum powder dust. The trucks like to tear up this road when it is wet, leaving large ruts. Then, when the weather turns dry, the ruts fill with dust the consistency of talcum powder.

I was feathering the clutch in first gear a lot of the time during this ride. This was not a good place to go riding the RX3, but I didn't anticipate encountering these conditions in April.

I like this bike a lot, and it did a good job under nasty conditions. However, I think this bike would be superb, and capable of handling even nastier conditions if it had a better suspension, with more suspension travel. I hope either Zongshen, CSC, or one of us finds a way to improve the forks, and the shock absorber.

I didn't find any stretches of road without ruts and dust until I reached the butte.

Both tires did a good job, as did the RX3. However, my back got a good workout bouncing over the hidden ruts on the slippery talcum powder. After reaching town, I stopped to eat at a restaurant. In the setting sun I captured a photograph of the trusty, dusty RX3, and both of its tires.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894