View Single Post
Old 05-03-2015, 12:37 AM   #3292

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
Boil over is usually due to too powerful a charger. If a charger has enough output to boil the battery it is way too powerful to use as a maintainer. Don't yet know the capacity of a Cyclone battery, but a lead acid should not be charged at a rate over 10% of it's rated Amp Hours (AH). I know a TW battery is 7AH, so that battery should not be charged at a rate above 0.7 amps (700milliamps). The Honda 550 battery is rated only 12AH, which would indicate a max charge rate of 1.2 amps. It's really hard to find a charger that small.

I have a lamp timer that has switches around the clock every 10 minutes. One on, five off, cycles the maintainer 10 minutes each hour, which is plenty to keep a healthy battery with a 10% maintainer charged, with lots of down time to be sure the battery has a chance to cool down between charge sessions.

!0% of AH is the most batteries should be charged. My big truck has 12 Group 27 batteries that provide 432 AH capacity, and all are kept charged by a 10 amp (2.3%) auto charger/maintainer on a timer set 10 minutes on, 50 minutes off, and the electronic on bored recorder, GPS tracker, fuel offset pump, anti-theft, and other electrics and electronics are left on.

Vehicle batteries like it slow and gentle, over an extended period of time.
Thanks for taking the time to post this thoughtful advice.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894