View Single Post
Old 05-14-2015, 05:39 PM   #13

I think one of the hardest parts of assembling a new motorcycle is raising the bike to install the front wheel. Once the front wheel is on the motorcycle, the rest of the job becomes much easier. The RX3 is pretty heavy, so if you don't have a strong back, you will want to lift the front of the bike with a jack of some sort.

Fortunately for me, I own a Husky 3-Ton jack I purchased from Home Depot. A nice feature of this jack is the ability to remove the lifting pad, which reveals a hollow tube beneath. This feature was added so you can easily install an extension beneath the lifting surface. However, you can also use the hollow tube on this jack to securely lift the RX3 from either the front, or back of the motorcycle.

Whenever I wish to lift the rear wheel of the bike, I can remove the lifting pad, and place the hollow tube of the jack around the centerstand support on the right side of the bike, as shown below. I used this method while adjusting the shock spring preload on my RX3.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14677

You can also use this method to change the rear tire, remove and lubricate the suspension linkage, et cetera.

If you remove the skid plate from the RX3, you will discover a strong mount attached to the frame which secures the front bolt of the skid plate. When assembling the bike, I removed the skid plate, and placed the hollow tube of my Husky jack around that mounting tab. The mounting tab provides a strong, secure projection which will prevent the motorcycle from slipping off the jack.

While my friend steadied the bike, I raised the front of the motorcycle using this procedure, and quickly attached the front wheel. Once the front wheel was in place, I lowered the jack, and rolled the bike to a convenient location. From that point I easily completed the rest of the bike's assembly by myself.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894