View Single Post
Old 05-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #22

OK, here's one that's a bit embarrassing to admit:

Yesterday, when the carb came, the mailman brought it up to the door and rang the doorbell. Great! So, today, when I was all done with the wiring stuff, I realized I had never brought in, nor even seen, any OTHER mail from yesterday. So, out to the mailbox, and there are my jets, stuffed in the mailbox! I was torn between happiness that they're here, and frustration that the mailman, as long as they were coming up to the front door, didn't bring ALL the packages up...

So, of course, I had to jump right on the carb install. Done and done. I swapped out the 20 / 100 (pilot / main) jets that it came with and went with the 27.5 / 112.5 jets from Jets R Us. The idle mixture screw was at 3/4 turns open, so I set it to 1.5 turns open. The needle clip was in the very lowest (richest) notch, so I set it right in the middle.

Started right up perfectly. No choke at all, so I think I might be even a tad rich at idle, but I'm not going to worry about it. Crispy off idle, too. Idle speed was a bit high, and it's a real PITA to get at the idle speed screw with that perimeter frame. At high speed, it's running just maybe a bit lean. I maybe shouldn't have messed with the needle clip at all. Sigh. Or maybe it'll need a 115 main. Changing the main isn't difficult (although I didn't order a 115), but getting at the slide now that the sidecovers, seat and tank are all back on is a chore. We'll see... I'll have to ride it more - I might just leave it the way it is. Haven't looked at the plug, though.