View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 03:47 PM   #3707

1000 mile ride on RX3

Just got back from the Wallowa ADV gathering in Enterprise , Hell's Canyon Oregon area.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1028251
5 days, 1000 miles. Had a great time perfect weather. Ussually we get rained on pretty good at least 1-2 days while there. So I'll post some pics and give a few thought s on what I liked or didn't like on the RX3. Have around 2300 miles on it now. 62mpg at 55/60mph for hours on end on pavement, 74/75 mpg when doing 3rd 4th gear fire roads at 35-45 mph.
First an intro, me rj, 176 lbs, 58 yo, 5"6" tall, self-annoyed machinist , plastic injection molder and maker. MPH from my GPS, not the RX3 generous speedo. Stats to compare with yourself so you know if this would be a suitable bike for you. Not and advertisement for me or the bike.

RX3 wannabe ?????

Headed into the Blue Mountains

Coming down into Troy, OR

First RX3 to Boggans's Oasis. Notice how the RX3 just makes the other vehicles dazzle and look so good next to it?

First RX3 to ride the "Rattle snake"

More "Rattle Snake"

First RX3 to Chief Joseph Overlook

First RX3 to Buckhorn Overlook

Riding buddy on a Tenere showing how small we are compared to the Canyon.

RX3 Heading out into the open range

Mi Casa at Log House RV campground. Owner's Brian and Margaret are motorcyclist and are great hosts if your staying in the area.
http://www.loghouservpark.com/

Went on a poker run with Brian. Was fun but not the RX3 forte'. I have more respect for 4 wheelers now seeing where they can go. I about died going up the steep loose switch backs. Here's where the RX3 suspension is criminal. Single track or forest roads with rocks and water drain ditches, 1st ,2nd gear technical really works the suspension to max and pogo sticks while carrying you happily on your way. On the highway, or fast gravel with wash board the suspension works great at 50-60 mph. Throw something at it with 6-12" ground variation at speed and your kidneys end up where your tonsils should be. Spuds we gotta get this figured out before my back gives out. Thinking maybe of adding some Schrader valve gizmos to the fork caps so I can put a few lbs. of air in to stiffen forks up a bit ????
Everyone looking at the RX3 wondering what is "that" doing here. I think they were afraid to touch it. hah hah

Having said that , the motor is dialed spot on for it's intended purpose I feel, gearing great except for the 1st gear trails type picking your way through the ruts and rocks. A little tall for that and needed clutch slippage to navigate places I ought not to have been. Cooling never got above 3 bars, fans did come on. Nothing broke or leaked although I did put coolant in the over flow bottle, twice. Don't know where it 's going. Stock tires were excellent for paved and fast gravel road. It was warm and they really stuck to the pavement. Expect they will wear out soon from the soft compound there made of. The brakes are very good for me. I found that on gravel and with the stock tires I could go as fast as I wanted 50/55 mph but slowing down or making sharp turns needed advanced planning because of the gravel and smooth tires. Stock battery seems to be working fine. Luggage was a little small but worked well for a 5 day trip. I got tired of locking and unlocking them so I took off the piece that the lock finger hook goes into on the lid, 2 screws as per another's advice on here. None of the luggage ever opened while banging around and believe me we banged around.
Pre poker run "What am I getting into" jitters ,which were pretty much justified.

Back after poker run with ADV petina

Made me want to take off my boots and squiggle my toes in there. Grande Ronde River from Troy.

two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

take care kiddos, rj

Last edited by rjmorel; 06-16-2015 at 05:42 PM.