View Single Post
Old 07-09-2015, 01:40 AM   #20

The petcock took forever to arrive! I started a claim on eBay, but the seller assured me that the valve was en route and would arrive in a few days. It did. I put it in my van, so I remember to grab some new fuel line for it tomorrow. The inlet side is a whopping 3/8".

I also decided to tackle the sloppy bushings on the rear shock. They're the typical inner and outer steel sleeve with a really poor elastomeric material in between. I measured the OD and ID, and determined that the metric measurements happen to be very close to 3/8" ID and 3/4" OD. I bought two sizes of bronze oilite bushings; one was 3/8" ID and 1/2"OD, the other was 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD. I pressed 'em together to make one, then drilled the ID with a letter W drill bit (0.386"), and the 10mm bolt slipped right through. I then cut 'em to length.

I pressed out the old bushings like so:

Name:  Press.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  87.0 KB

I then wrapped a little bit of Gorilla tape onto the OD of the bushing, and slid it into the shock body, like so:

Name:  Shock Bushing.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  94.8 KB

When I have more time, I'll bolt the shock back in, install the new petcock and hose and then adjust the valves. Getting close!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer