View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Fuel tank capacity and float

Hey

As you may know, the bike tank capacity is not really the advertised, while every spec sheet you see will tell you that the bike has a 16L (4.2gallons) tank, in reality its capacity is 14L (3.7gallons).

Also, the fuel meter is not remotely accurate. In part this is for the way the fuel pump works, it needs to be soaked in fuel to avoid damage, so my guess is that Zongshen deliberately sets the indicator very pesimistic. That way you would refuel before you really need it and the tank would always have some fuel for the pump.

In my tests, when the fuel warning light blinks, you have only consumed about 7-8L (1.8-2.1 gallons) of fuel, so you have a lot of fuel remaining.

As my bike is carburated, no fuel pump involved, I decided to correct this indicator. To fix it, the idea is to take the tank off, remove the fuel float and bend it so it sits lower in the tank.

I think EFI users should also fix it so its not THAT pesimistic and a little more realistic, but just taking care of not draining the entiry tank when riding the bike.

I've made a step by step procedure, it is in spanish but you can easily google translate it (or ask me anything)

https://coltermoto.wordpress.com/tri...ible-flotante/