Thread: Heated Grips
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #14

Another Oxford Heated Grip Review

I just installed Oxford Touring heated grips on my RX3. My experience was similar to Katflap's.

Mounting the controller on the clutch level perch was super easy. Used included mounting plate, spacers and bolts. No mods or other parts needed. Looks great.

No problems with the wiring. Ran connectors under the front of the tank, and used the battery connector harness to run back to the A2 plug under the front seat left side. I soldered the wires in once I determined which was hot (brown I think) and which was ground (green).

Installing the grips themselves was challenging. The grips have a hard inner plastic liner, and its impossible (at first) to get the left grip over the knurling on left handlebar end. I used a rat tail file and a dremel with sanding drum to remove some of the inner plastic on the grip. And also used a rubber mallet to get the grip finally in place. I do not recommend this method but I was getting frustrated. Fortunately I did not damage the heater element. Throttle side was easier but I had to use an exacto knife and sandpaper to smooth the nubbins off of the throttle tube until I could finally work the grip into place.

I do not use brush guards, and had planned to use a pair of universal fit bar end weights (the kind with the inner rubber expansion plug for standard 7/8 inch bars) to close up the ends and finish the job. But I discovered you can't use bar end weights on the stock RX3 handlebar. The bar inner diameter is too small. Also the throttle tube end is closed. I ended up carefully cutting the ends of the original hand grips off, and glued them to the end of the Oxford grips to close up the ends. Looks OK.

I would be interested in how the Bikemaster grips actually install. I like the looks of the Oxford grips and the controller, but I am not sure they are worth the extra $35.

Last edited by NoVa Rider; 10-09-2015 at 05:41 AM.