View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #1

Changing the Engine Oil with Minimum Mess

With almost 12,000 miles on the odometer, I have changed the engine oil in my RX3 at least a half dozen times. Here are the tools, and the method I use for a quick, clean oil change.

Tools

8 mm Socket Screwdriver
8 mm T-handle socket wrench
3/8-inch socket ratchet
17 mm socket
2-inch socket ratchet extension
6-inch socket ratchet extension
Paper towels
Oil drain pan
Needle nose pliers
Small Funnel

Draining the Engine Oil

1) Working from the right side of the motorcycle, I remove the stock skid plate by loosening the three bolts with a 8 mm socket screwdriver.
2) Using a 2-inch ratchet extension, I break loose the oil drain plug at the bottom of the engine with a 17 mm socket and ratchet.
3) I then place an oil drain pan under the motorcycle.
4) Using either a screwdriver, or a coin, I remove the oil fill plug which is located on top of the clutch basket.
5) With several paper towels handy, I remove the magnetic, oil drain plug with my fingers. As soon as the plug comes out, I drop the plug and its copper washer into the oil drain pan.
6) Using a paper towel, I immediately wipe the oil from my hands to prevent dripping oil outside the drain pan.
7) While the oil drains, I loosen the 8 mm nuts on the oil filter cover with a T-handle socket wrench.
8) Next, I remove the 8 mm nuts with my socket screwdriver.
9) Grabbing the engine guard and the right pannier mount, I tilt the bike vertical while oil drains from the oil filter cavity.
10) After most of the oil drains, I tilt the bike back onto the kick stand, and remove the oil filter cover and spring.
11) Slightly tilting the oil drain pan, I retrieve the oil drain plug. I also make sure I retrieve the copper washer.
12) After wiping my hands with a paper towel, I clean the oil drain plug.
13) Using the oil drain plug, I remove the oil filter, and place it on a paper towel.
14) Using a six-inch ratchet extension, I break loose the drain plug which covers the oil screen of the crankcase sump.
15) I remove the drain plug by hand, and place it on a paper towel.
16) Grabbing the engine guard and the right pannier mount, I tilt the bike vertical while oil drains from the crankcase sump.
17) Every fourth oil change, I remove the oil screen from the engine with needle nose pliers, and place it on a paper towel.
18) I now tilt the motorcycle to the right, and vertical, draining as much oil as possible from the engine.
19) Now I move to the left side of the bike. Using a six-inch ratchet extension, I break loose the drain plug which covers the oil screen of the gearbox sump.
20) I remove the drain plug by hand, and place it on a paper towel.
21) Every fourth oil change, I remove the oil screen from the engine with needle nose pliers, and place it on a paper towel.
22) If I have removed the oil screens, I clean them at this time.
23) After replacing the oil screen, I replace the oil drain plug for the gearbox sump.
24) I now return to the right side of the motorcycle.
25) After replacing the oil screen, I replace the oil drain plug for the crankcase sump.
26) I install a new oil filter, along with the oil filter cap and spring.
27) I thread the 8 mm nuts onto the oil filter cap with my 8 mm socket screwdriver.
28) I tighten the oil filter nuts with my T-handle socket wrench.
29) I replace the magnetic oil drain bolt, with its copper washer.
30) Using a 2-inch ratchet extension, I tighten the bolt with my socket ratchet.
31) I remove the oil drain pan.
32) I install the stock skid plate with my 8mm socket screwdriver.

Adding New Engine Oil

1) I place a funnel in the hole above the clutch basket.
2) I add 1.7 quarts (1 quart and 22 ounces) of motor oil to the engine.
3) Using either a screwdriver, or a coin, I replace the oil fill plug which is located on top of the clutch basket.

This completes the oil change. If you keep paper towels handy, you will not make much of a mess.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 10-12-2015 at 02:03 PM.