View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Quartzite is about 80 miles north of me. While this part of AZ stays dry, it does get 'cold' here--of course, not snowdrift, icy-road cold, but my commutes in the morning, before sunrise are in the mid to low 40 degree F temperatures. Dry, but cold enough to often get numb fingers, and such.

The ironic thing is speaking with people who have transplanted themselves from the north or the midwest (i.e. Minnesota) permanently perhaps a year or two ago; they state that they feel colder on some days than from where they came from! The only explanation (no, not scientific) that we can deduce is that since the desert is dry most of the time, a 'dry' cold is apparently worse than a 'wet' or humid cold?

But, we have gotten this weather quite quickly. Literally, a little more than a month, it was over 100 F, then for a few weeks, it dropped to the 80's, and then the past 2 and a half weeks, low 40 F in the early morning up to the low to mid-60's F during the day. It 'feels' colder much earlier this time than in the past. But it will mellow out and we will have higher temps, I believe.

But as Mudflap's photos show--it is dry, and during the day, riding around is no problem.
as someone who grew up in the midwest, i think the dry cold is easier to deal with, as it isnt damp and doesnt chill you to the bone like a wet cold... its probably a mental game of feeling cold without snow on the ground makes you feel even colder or something....

i would take a dry cold over damp cold any day of the week (the same goes for heat too...)