View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 06:49 PM   #1

Classic Japanese racing bicycle recovery

I noticed a poor forlorn 1980s Mariushi RX7 Japanese racing bike stuff in the dusty corner of a friends hanger at the airport. It has been there for a very long time, I would guess since the 80s lol!

I never had this particular brand bicycle, but it is very similar to a Bridgestone racing bike that I loved very much when I was a kid in college and high school, and I rode that bicycle all over for years. I miss it very much.

My friend at the airport saw me looking at the poor thing covered in dirt spiderwebs etc. and he just offered it to me. How could I pass a deal like that. I should have taken some before pictures, but I spent about 8 hours fixing it up. Much of the work was cleaning and cosmetic, I also repacked all the bearings, and got everything adjusted and polished up. It rides beautifully! It is such a strong reminder of that Bridgestone bicycle that I love so much when I was younger. It brings back a lot of memories to ride this thing.

Mariushi became Jamais bicycles. They are still in business and continue to make good products.

You can't beat the ride of Tange chrome-moly tubing. When I was younger, 12 speeds was plenty, now not so much LOL. My old legs more accustomed to triple crankset and much closer gear spacing. Even so, it was fun.