View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #6

I wasn't sure about the rear wheel when I saw it and didn't pay attention to the front. Wheels are kind of like a consumable, they can get changed out for something better. Or something worse in a pinch. You can't go wrong with the Araya rims. My 1981 Miyata 710 came with 27 x1 1/4 Araya A20 rims on Sanshin hubs. I swapped those out for set 700c Super Champion Gentleman rims on SunTour hubs. The Arayas got laced to a pair of Sturmey Archer drum brake hubs in 1990 and mounted on my Miyata 600gt, where they've been ever since. Got me through Paris-Brest-Paris and many nasty weather rides.

I did notice that the bike originally had brake safety levers, or turkey wings, on it. Good thing that they are gone. If the new brake hoods don't have a knock out for that extension bolt, you can shorten the bolt with a hacksaw. Or visit a bike co-op (good place for a Chinarider) for the shorter bolt or a different lever, cheap. You can check out a local bike shop, but find one that's been in business forever and talk to the old guy. Sad to say, but a lot of bike shops aren't much better than a low buck auto parts store anymore. This place is handy sometimes, too. https://www.loosescrews.com/

As good 27" tires are getting harder to come by, you might consider swapping the wheels out with a pair of 700c wheels in the future. That said, I scored a pair of 27" Continental Gatorskins awhile back that are bullet proof. Being Contis, they weren't cheap, but I haven't had to replace them yet.

What saddle did you put on it?

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts