View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Thanks for the reply Weld. What type of spare parts are we talking about. The weight penalty on a small displacement is at a premium, so less is more. I'm working on the presumption that spare parts will be available in Latin America.
Good question. Off the top of my head, I'd pack a new oil filter cap (you're going nowhere if you crack the one on your bike), a new CDI that you verified as good, a new reg/rec, a few 15A fuses, a few bulbs, two tubes, a handful of main and slow jets, some Permatex black RTV silicone, JB Weld, a new master link and a few links of chain, a chain breaker, chain & cable lube, Loctite, zip ties, wrenches to fit every bolt (including the swingarm, axles and oil filter cap), an NGK plug, a new coil with plug wire, several fuel filters, a small container of grease, air filter oil, a cable luber, a spoke wrench, tire spoons, a new petcock, a small wire stripper/crimper and a roll of Gorilla tape. I can't think of anything else right now.

I'd prep the bike before the journey with new Japanese sealed wheel bearings, new quality fuel line and a fuel filter (preferably made in USA), a quality pod filter (if the stock air filter doesn't seal 100%), grease on the swingarm bolt, a quality chain, Loctite on every bolt, repack the steering head bearings and double-nut where appropriate (like the chain adjusters, exhaust studs, etc.).

I'd also ensure that the stator harness is properly routed around the countershaft sprocket before ever riding the bike. I replace as many bolts as possible with stainless socket head cap screws, so I can use allen wrenches. I also pack extra fasteners and extra washers.

I know that's a lot, but I'd prepare like a good boy scout.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer