View Single Post
Old 03-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I would argue--do the countersprocket ('front' sprocket) first. These come geared really low (high number rear sprocket--56 and low number front sprocket 13 or 14) for pure off-road. I would suggest change the front sprocket to a 17 tooth as your very first modification. From there, if you want to be mainly streetable with some dirt trail riding, you could look into changing the rear sprocket to a 45 tooth from the stock 56. The third mod should be the carb, once you decide you like the way the bike is geared.

@Sport Rider--the only reason I say this is not to insult you and your suggestion, but I think people have reported carb issues changing them out (I am writing about relative newbies which 'Hawkrider' states he is) which were probably not issues at all but rather newbie issues such as adjustments as opposed to anything being 'wrong.'
no offense ever taken, so don't worry about that part!

I guess the better suggestion would be to get the carb running well first. that might be through use of the stock carb, pulling the caps to get to the jets, etc. I struggled to get it running initially, but definitely due to my not being familiar with it at all. I felt it just ran so lean that it was concerning. until I got the carb set and it ran well, I was ready to call my purchase a bust.

I found the stock sprockets to be usable IF off-roading was my only interest. I did my 17 very early on though because I knew I wanted more street-ability. I guess I figured I KNEW what that was going to do for me. but I wanted to get it running right first.

You certainly have good logic to your suggestion though. Perhaps the right approach is to do ALL of the changes as soon as you are able. start where you have the most concern, but I personally recommend all of them....including the valve adjust and brake fluid that I missed!