View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
i gotta ask you guys.. what elevations are you having issues w the carb? we have two hawks , are at about 1k in the ozarks and having zero carb issues. check for air leaks first.
i've even got a mikuni in the box w a full range of jet sizes, that until i plan a mountain or beach trip, just aren't being touched. where is the op in texas? i think i'd talk to some other owners there at similar altitudes. aside from the "make it mine " crowd, the stock hawk has few issues, unless you want more than 35 mph :} then gear change is critical. resetting the idle mixture really helps almost everyone. online is a guy in vermont called cheetos or cheese something. has some good hawk related vids on youtube. might even b on this board.
oh, and i run 16/45 and sustained 60-65 ish is no prob and i can still trail.
I'm in the Charlotte NC area myself. elevation here is about 800-1000 feet. once I got the stock carb tuned, it was starved for fuel at about 45mph. it would just start to sputter at that point which was telling me either main jet too small or float level too low. not really sure which since I did not drill/cut and take it apart. after the mikuni install, it was running up to 50 with no other changes. then went to 17 on the front and getting 55 to 58. I have not gone to the 45 rear sprocket yet. the difference in the carbs to me was the feeling that it was running strong and smooth all the way up to the top speed. I'm sure my limit now is HP vs weight and wind resistance. these were all on flat roads, by the way. on a downhill I've gotten to 68. again, 17/50 on it right now.

keep in mind though...I claim NOOO carb expertise! these results are just seat of the pants and doing some of the suggested changes by the experts here.

Hmmmm....perhaps THAT's my problem!