View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #34

Epic Big Sur ride!

What an adventure! Left town on the morning of the 3rd, just got back tonight after a 700 plus mile epic on/off-road trip with some friends. My buddy races baja and spent a month plotting a turn-by-turn roll chart trip that utilized the maximum legal off road route to get down to San Luis Obispo and back for his moto-adventure bachelor party. We connected towns through miles of dry river beds with deep sand and whoop sections, gravel roads, loose shale hill climbs, wide open throttle two-track roads, up in the wet heavy fog above Big Sur on dirt roads, etc etc. I'm still not sure where we were, I have to see his map plot and do a ride report. I am speechless, the most amazing bike trip I have ever been on. On day 2 I was challenged beyond my abilities and ended up with the bike nearly belly up in a steep downhill rut and I tumbled down the hill a bit (she definitely felt every bit of 400+ lbs dragging her out of that). No injuries to me but the bike suffered a badly bent engine crash guard that did exactly what it was designed to do, without it my left side radiator would have been destroyed and the trip over miles from nowhere in a very remote area. My fellow riders commented on what a tough, and good looking, little bike it was. It climbed hills that no one expected it to be able to do and kept up fine on the freeway stretches, even with the 13t sprocket. The ONLY mechanical issue I had for the entire trip was a slightly loose shifter bolt. After one hard crash and a couple gentler ones the only damage was cosmetic, nothing broken, not even a clutch or brake lever. I'll be installing wrap around bark buster type guards soon anyway . I expected to have chain adjustments every morning, but nope, after the first 500 miles it seems to be wearing a little less rapidly. The rear suspension bottomed out frequently when speeding over rough terrain, no surprise there, but was very comfortable on rough roads at speeds I think the bike was designed for...its not a true dual sport after all. Unbelievable performance considering what we just went through. I'll attach a few pics, ride safe everyone!
Attached Images

Last edited by rideabout; 05-06-2016 at 12:51 AM.