View Single Post
Old 07-15-2006, 10:14 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
That clutch thing can be a hard thing for some people. I freely admit that when I started with a clutch around 10, I was awful.
When we got my son, 10 at the time, we found one that uses the old Honda "trail" engine and 4 speed without a clutch. My mom had a Trail 90 that everybody loved to ride. It was just a 'hoot'!
My son's MX100 is the same way. I love to hop on it and ride around! It would get blown away if you were racing, but is great for our purposes.

Do you know anybody that might have a clutchless bike that your daughter would be able to try a few times? This might help her enjoy the experience without having to think about how to use the clutch. Once she gets the "bug" the clutch will be worth learning.

(Side note: My sons bike has a rotary transmission. Yuck. I keep waiting for the time he is doing about 40mph and thinks he is in 3rd gear instead of 4th. Click into neutral. Hmmm must have missed a shift. Click into 1st...extreme revs and then Kabloooey! New engine or bike time. Oh well that is why we bought a $600 bike in the first place )