Thread: Wheelies!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 03:36 AM   #6

I've popped a bunch of wheelies on mine. There is just about enough torque to pull the front wheel off the ground with nothing more than throttle. So like others have suggested, practice on dirt!

Put it in first, get yourself rolling really slow by slipping the clutch just a tad while revving the engine moderately. I don't have a tach, but I'm guessing around 3,500-4K RPM. Then, give the throttle a hard twist while letting the clutch out and pulling back just a tad on the handle bar.

The trick here is to start very small! Try using virtually no clutch and all throttle first. Get a feel for the max pull the bike can generate. After you've done that a couple dozen times, start working in just a bit of clutch slipping by revving slightly higher and dropping the clutch each time.

So basically what you are doing is keeping the throttle twisting constant, while learning to work the clutch for maximum impact.

Beware though. After you've popped a few small ones, you're going to get over confident and decide to try a big one! And when you do that, you could easily break something. The bigger the wheelie the higher the risk of involuntarily jerking your throttle wrist and exacerbating the situation. You'll run the risk of dumping the bike backwards, or having to quickly brake or kill throttle and slamming the front wheel into the ground.

So in summary... Start VERY small, and work your way up slowly.

2016 Hawk 250 - Black
All my mods are documented on my Blog!

My Blog | Google+ | Twitter | Facebook