View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #2

Big enough?

Like 'most everything else....it depends. I would not choose the Zong for a coast to coast ride, others are doing exactly that. So far I have had a couple longer weekend rides, 300-400 round trip. Highway speed is no problem for the RX3. That equates to about 6,000 rpm at 55-60 mph. I need to downshift to 5th for steep hills but the bike never seems to complain. Being light the bike does react more to cross winds. On the other hand, country roads with lots of twisting/turning terrain...or gravel...this is where my bike shines. Last weekend I spent two days riding in West Virginia. Of the 200-230 miles there were 30 of gravel forest service roads and most of the rest was on really tight one lane country roads. I was going 30-50 mph much of the time and having a wonderful time. On gravel/dirt I found myself staying in 3rd gear most of the time with enough torque to modulate through the turns and up most inclines...standing on the pegs all the time. A larger bike would have been much less fun. I did trailer the bike out to WV because 6-7 hours of Interstate each way would have made the trip not worth the effort.