View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 12:01 PM   #13

Has anyone actually checked the oil temperature to know if a cooler is needed or is this another one of those parts that will be added because it's used on race bikes so it must be good? Overheated oil is bad, so is underheated oil. I wouldn't add a cooler unless needed and would want it to be thermostatically controlled. If the cooler's mounting/plumbing means it can drain it would also get a check valve.

Potential downsides to a cooler, especially one that's not well thought out: Oil too cold. Dry starts. Another part who's failure can wreck the motor and/or leave you stranded. Added weight. Added cost. Only partial oil changes unless the cooler is drained. Oil starving the engine. Probably more not coming to mind.

For those wanting it for low speed high load operation, have you considered that at 10-15mph the airflow through a plate cooler is likely to do near nothing?

Jap bikes have had similar designed engines for decades making more power and heat and have long records of durability without coolers.

Now that I've said my peace, enjoy the added bling if you choose to.