View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #1213

Update: Even though the speedo cable broke around 95 miles, I've been diligently riding the same 30 mile "mixed" loop every evening to put miles on the TT and get it broke in, so I figured that it's got about 200+ on it now.

I'm noticing that it's really starting to loosen up quite a bit now. The mid-range is sticking around longer as the motor gets hot and it's pulling longer, farther, up the same long hills. I'm still doing my best not to push too hard above 5000. Fortunately, it produces some good grunt between 5-6. The little tach I installed has become invaluable.

For most of the ride, neutrals are findable but by the time I get home and it's good and searing hot, not so much, but it's getting better daily. I'm running 15/40 oil in it currently for break-in.

I know there's been comments here about the tires but for the dirt, gravel, and twisties I'm riding, these things are perfect for these surfaces. In the canyon, I can toss it completely over without worry. The stock tires grip great....though they do have a bizarre hum.

The last two days, I kept hearing this rattle, on longer up-hills when the motor was really pulling. I kept looking down and listening, wondering if it was the air pump valve opening under load or some motor rattle when it was scorching hot, etc...but couldn't locate it. I wasn't too worried, warranty, right? I also noticed about 3/4 of the way through my ride last night, the rattle vanished. Well, I got home and I found half the license plate frame gone. Found the rattle! ;-)

So far, I'm really enjoying this bike. The seat is super comfortable, the handling and cornering, even in the tight stuff, is smooth and predictable and the bike seems very solid under me.

Once it's broke in, mods will be a pipe, probably a Mikuni and also, it needs a smaller rear sprocket once it's developing some more power. You get to 5th gear awfully quickly. It needs some longer legs.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 07-07-2016 at 11:32 AM.