View Single Post
Old 07-23-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Head Scratching Hawk swing arm axle spacers

Anyone else seeing a crush problem when tightening their rear axle? finally pulled the thing apart and the axle spacer inside the rear of the swing arm is a thin piece of tubing welded with two end plates which is supposed to keep the square tubes from bending together when the axle is torqued down. I think the book calls for 65 ft/lbs but that would cause the tube to buckle and mushroom, thus letting the square tubes bend in around the axle bolt.

What torque are the long time wrenchers using on the rear? I 'm using 40-45 now on the second Hawk after my bro tried 55 on his and collapsed the spacer tube:( he's rebuilding it now to his own design.

ADAM? can u ask the engineer what gives here?
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking