View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #166

Obnoxious Mystery Noise

I found it!...and I wasn't even riding it!

In some of my earlier posts, I complained about a rattle or light knock or deep tap that I'd hear at certain RPM's under load. At first I thought it may have been an engine noise because it seemed to be coming from between my legs...but we all know how sounds travel and the CG motor is notoriously solid. Then my plastic license plate frame snapped off one evening on my nightly break-in ride and I thought maybe that was it. Shortly after, the bike came apart.

Last night I was once again giving the TT a stare down after the brake bleeding....and I was checking the tank plastic wings to make sure that I had them on correctly. I wiggled and tapped on them before I checked the mount screws for tight...and low and behold..."TAP!" HUH? I hit it with my finger again..."TAP!"

Wouldn't you know it!? On one of the lower slip-on mounts on the tank tab, right side....it was tapping against the tank! I took the wing off, slightly tweaked the tab toward the tank, remounted and it was gone. Now the wing is nice and snug to match the other one. No more tap.

I know...this ain't much but man was it annoying. Just the wind catching it was making it tap against the tank at certain speeds and it was driving me nuts.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350