Thread: Hawk Talk
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 10:33 AM   #7

Good write-up. I've had both versions now of the venerable CG motor. The balanced shaft is definitely more smooth across the RPM range, though the non-balanced motor is more simple with less parts. You can't go wrong with either version.

The Hawk is by far the "best 2 wheeled bang for the buck" on the planet (Storm is right there as well if you can get one). I'd say the biggest issue that the Hawk has is that RPS doesn't seem to be in a big rush to spend the $$$ to get it DOT approval.

Coming from CA, I can see that jumping through the CARB hoops is a hassle...but to ship these everywhere leaving it to "buyer beware" regarding street registration in most states is quite undesirable. If RPS would get this straightened out, they'd sell even tons more than they do now.

As Adam quoted: "Note that the Magician (like the Hawk) is not a DOT motorcycle and on-road registration is dependent upon your local DMV. There is a long-term plan to make both bikes DOT compliant, but there is a lot of bureaucracy involved with that."

This needs to be fixed. To me, it's the only real problem, even if they never do become available here in CA. 49 other states will be quite happy.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350