View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #15

LT, thanks for taking the time to share your exhaust surgery with us. Your method is exactly what I would do if I had a cat to excise. I might also try BB's suggestion of cutting three sides only, with a score to relieve the section to be bent.

I really like the exhaust tip concept. You might decide to try another version that borrows from 2LZ' design, which has a plug in the inlet end of the tip. That forces exhaust to enter the tip through the small holes on the sides, which can be tailored to suit your needs (and it'll pass a coat hanger test).

I've fabricated similar mufflers before, and my way is to use a little math. Calculate the area of the ID of the header and then calculate how many 1/4" holes would be required to equal the same area. Drill that number of holes and try it. I wouldn't drill holes any larger than 1/4", so that sparks can't easily find their way out.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer