View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 02:40 AM   #13

When 'sealing' wiring connections remember that if it's not 100% sealed, which is hard to do, it makes it not breath. Translation; if moisture gets in it'll stay in longer than if the connection was just wide open. A single wire connection is relatively easy to seal, multi wire connections, especially with quick connectors, are very hard to seal.

Wrapping with electrical tape buys time, unfortunately it sometimes leads to bigger problems once the problems become apparent. I recently experienced this with one of my other bikes, a CBR1100XX. There's a 'test connector' that's sealed after a factory test is conducted. It was discovered that the early 'sealing' was inadequate so it was changed in 2000 and deemed to be permanent. My 2001 XX started suffering classic symptoms of a failed test connector so I tore into it and sure enough it was wrecked. Had to cut the harness pretty far back from the connector to reach clean copper. I've had wires in boats that were corroded over 10' from a "sealed" factory connection.

Something to consider when a waterproof connection isn't really warranted or viable is to treat it with something like CorrosionX, CRC 2-26, or another penetrating protectant. I've had a fair bit of experience with both and they do a good job. Barring full submersion I'm pretty confident in them. I've heard that CorrosionX can handle full submersion of unsealed servos and receivers in an R/C boat if one is dumb enough to crash & sink it repeatedly, but they'r low amperage so it's a mild test.