View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 10:58 PM   #27

Saturday Night Update

As if assembling a motorcycle and getting it fired up isn't enough, there's more! I tore into the carb and loaded up a 110 jet and shimmed the needle up with a single#6 washer. Word to the wise: Be very careful with the needle retaining clip. I shot mine across the shop and never found it. I have a cut-down water bottle lid keeping my needle in for the time being. I do have to say that I'm very impressed with the way the bike runs after having reworked the carby. I also put on the 17t front sprocket and 39t rear. The bike has a grand total of 33 miles on it, and that sprocket combination let's me hang at about 60mph or so. After lurking on every site I could find about the Hawk, it seems that the engine will really start opening up around 200-300 miles. I should have the exhaust swapped out by then, too. All this back of the envelope math says I should be able to hit 70 or so comfortably. Honestly, I like this bike so much (granted, it's only been a day), that if I would have picked this up first, it's possible I wouldn't have even jumped on a DR650. I'll be hitting the DMV as soon as the paperwork comes. I'll keep everyone posted.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up