Thread: Rpoc
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesy View Post
Looking for some suggestions.

I rode the Ural to O'hare on Wednesday and ended up turning on the heated grips about halfway there. I only used the 'LOW' setting(35%). Kinda like that first experience with a heated seat, it was that nice.

Last night, riding back from O'hare, 35F, snow and 45mph headwinds. It was effing cold. Switched on the grips before I left the parking lot. Bumped them up to 'MED' setting (70%). Palms warm as toast, digits like ice. Wearing my Aussie winter gloves(a misnomer, I know) that I wear on the CX and my hands have never felt that cold.

Biggest difference between the two bikes is the windshields(You know what I mean). Large windshield on the CX that extends to the grips. Smaller windshield on the Ural does not extend to the grips. The obvious answer is I need to block the wind from my hands. So, brush guards, the same windshield as on the CX, or something else?
I had a couple of good laughs over that post.

I have a cheap set of "Acerbis" bark busters that I bought on Taobao, and I also bought the add-on spoilers. I haven't added the spoilers yet, but they'll certainly help keep the wind off in colder weather. The good news is that the bark busters are very well made and cheap.

If I was interested in riding in actual snow on a hack, I'd search for a set of Hippo Hands. Hippo Hands combined with grip heaters would be awesome.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer