View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 02:50 PM   #101

A New Take on Valves

I went down in the garage for the obligatory day after thanksgiving ride, and decided that at 250 miles on the clock, it might be a good idea to check the valves. Boy, am I glad I did! I set the valves at 0.005 when I assembled the bike, and when I checked them again this morning, there was absolutely NO clearance there. I set them again at 0.004 and took it out for about 50 miles of street riding, with a few odd trails thrown in for variety. It seemed to do better, and I was able to comfortably maintain about 60mph for the whole trip. I would like to submit a question to the collective wisdom of the forum: I changed the oil when I first assembled the bike, so should I change the oil now at roughly 310 miles, again at 500 miles and then every 1,000 miles thereafter, or should I go ahead and ride out to 500 miles, then change it every 1,000 miles? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up