View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
I agree with the closed system, but it's not a euro bike, its a chinese bike. I was wondering if it was an add on to achieve emission compliance. If it was not designed with and for the engine, it could have a negative outcome...i.e., sludge, carbon etc.
AD,

The biggest negative outcome (and the worst for the engine) is to directly vent the crankcase gases back into the engine.

I have been spending a considerable amount of time reading about oil catch cans and air/fuel separators.

They are beneficial for the performance and longevity of an engines.

Many race cars are adding them.

The OCS on the RX 3 is an attempt to keep the most harmful byproducts of combustion and oil mist out of the engine.

If the fluids that collect in the OCS collection tube were fed back into the airbox, the airbox and the rest of the engine internals would experience a build up that would eventually effect the engine's performance.

The fluids would also affect the fuel/air mixture.

The problem, IMO, is as 2LZ mentioned, what do you do with the fluid in the collection tube?

Dumping it on the ground, or letting it drip, is nearly as environmentally unfriendly as venting the crankcase directly to the atmosphere.

As for the RX3 not being a Euro bike, it will have to be, if it is to be sold in the EU.

The RX 3 is already a "world" bike. If it wants to continue to be, it will need to meet the world standards.

jb