View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 09:57 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Most Chinese bikes are 49 state legal, which leaves out California. Ironic because the bikes are usually distributed out of So. Cal. Funny thing is, the distributors could get their bikes plated in California; meaning their own, personal bikes, and the plates would be distinguished as 'distributor'--which means they could not use a loophole to sell Californians cheap enduros one bike at a time.

Hawks are EPA certified as 'off road motorcycle' in 49 states, as based on the official EPA certified list. Technically, even the states that 'will not, could not, will you, won't you, plate it, sir, sam I am' (couldn't resist a Dr. Seuss moment) are supposed to allow it to be registered and used as an off-road bike (those states that title and/or register off-road bikes).
Exactly like here. I bought my X-Moto, completely street legal regarding mirrors, lights, horn, etc....but it wouldn't pass the CARB to be able to be registered on the street. That doesn't mean that I couldn't get a Green Sticker for off-road though (at that time). I ditched the lights(thread here somewhere) and just road it legally as a dirt bike. It made a stellar trail bike for trail riding. I wonder if that same thing would work here in CA for the Hawk?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350