View Single Post
Old 01-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
2LZ, mine looked just like yours. I could smear grease on the cups but with no guarantee that the grease was getting all the way to both bushings. If you drill and tap for a zerk about half way between the cups you should be able to get grease to the entire shaft and thus to both bushings. When I do this I'll drill/tap for the zerk from above, just so the zerk is protected. I did not notice how wide the bushings were so I'd be concerned about drilling close to the ends of the shaft. I'm kicking myself for not doing this job when I had everything apart!
I'll be interested to see what you come up with. I guess you'll have to drill all the way thru the bushing to reach the shaft?????????? There has to be a way to get that grease past the pressed bushing.
My other concern is just going overboard. Most of my bikes have been bushed and I've only had to replace one set after coming over a blind hill and finding a pond. I shut the motor off on the way over the bars so after a drain and flush (among other cleaning), it was ok. It was about 3 months later the bushings let loose.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350