Thread: Obama and Cuba
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 12:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
including reopening up our embassy in Havana, there is no reason for the people having to 'sneak' in now.
Hadn't even considered that.

Hopefully the people are actually allowed to go there without issues and the embassy staff actually helps people get out. I can envision guards outside dissuading people from entering. Even if people get the proper papers they still need a way to the US, no idea if the Cuban government is going to allow people to get transport. How the people wanting to leave will be treated once they start the process is also unknown.

Trying to sneak out used to be a potential death sentence, usually just prison I think. Not sure how it is these days. Filing for permission to leave meant you were basically a traitor, there's a better word not coming to mind, and were treated like shit. When my parents filed my dad was sent to a work camp for a couple years. I think that's also when they lost their home, but it may have already happened. When our day came up there was very little notice, get your asses to the airport right now or your plane leaves without you and you start all over. We were allowed to take only the clothes on our bodies. This was in 1971 so I assume things have changed some.