View Single Post
Old 01-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #23

Welcome Fmore2!

As you've discovered, you need to take every opinion with a grain of salt. Everride provided a review of the RX3 for his riding style, which is 90% off road and technical. So while he was used to long travel suspension and knobby tires, he pushed the RX3 on tough, technical trails and it never failed, and never broke (despite his intentional riding to make it fail.) And as you stated, it now lives a happy life with a new owner who appreciates the bike and posts favorable videos.

It's almost like saying that I dislike the new Subaru Crosstrek because it can't climb rocks, boulder-bash, and climb lose dirt hills like a customized Jeep with an LS1 V8 and long travel suspension with King offroad shocks.

But the funny thing is the inverse. Try driving that same Jeep on roads for a long cross country drive and I'd bet it's nowhere near as comfortable or fun as the Subaru Crosstrek. (I can already imagine the drone from those monster off road tires going on for miles and miles...) And in the same vein, the RX3 will be A LOT more comfortable for a cross country ride than his purpose built trail bike.

Maybe if I intended to ride 90% on those technical trails, I would then want the other bike that was purpose built and customized to handle those conditions.

Is one better than the other? It depends on what you want and what you need. Me personally, I wanted a bike that would spend 90% of it's time on the roads, but 10% hitting the fire trails in my neighborhood and have the capability to go off road. The RX3 does that beautifully, and I'm nowhere close to pushing the limits of its suspension. But I ride slow off road and enjoy the ride.

The RX3 is truly a world bike as it's sold in some seriously tough environments, including Eastern Europe, Asia, and South America (as you've seen.) And it's no surprise to read that it's so popular that it's sold out with months-long waiting list.

I hope you'll have the chance to ride one. It is surprisingly comfortable and the bike is fun to ride. I remind myself of how comfortable the RX3 is when I sit on other bikes and find that I don't like the seating position.

Good luck!