View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #68

Huamachuco-Rulmarca-Huamachuco

I was aiming for a town? Called Pallasca when I made a navigational error (or two). I was on some rough dirt roads and it was raining. As it got later in the day I was very tired and concerned that I would Drop the bike because the roads are so slick. Around 4 PM I decided that I had to find a place to spend the night or I was going to have to sleep on the ground or in any shelter I could find. I came upon a couple of women and asked if there were any hotels nearby. No they said and Pallasca was not an option as I understood them. I bought 6 liters of gas from one lady who used a funnel to put it in the bike from a plastic Coke bottle. The other lady must have felt sorry for me and she told me I could stay at her house. I was relieved and quickly accepted. She agreed to feed me too and I told her I would pay her. I really didn't care what the price was. The small village had a nice square in the centro as most do here. She showed me a room and I think she had a small child and it was her room. They were living in very primitive conditions ( in my opinion). She fixed me a huge plate of rice, papas fritas and fried eggs. I couldn't eat half of it and was a little embarrassed that I had asked for it. In the room where I was eating I had two chickens, two guinea pigs (cui) and two cats at my feet wondering if I was going to eat all that food.

I got into my Motion X gps app and figured out where I was at and my hosts convinced me my best option was to go back to Huamachuco. I asked if someone could lead me out of there in the morning and they arranged it. It was 57 km of slick dirt road but it was much better than the road I came in on.
The next morning I had to wait on my lead guy until 10:40 to leave which put me in the rain again. The host charged me 50 sols and I paid her double. She was very grateful and I went away thinking I should have paid more. It was overall a great (but stressful) experience I will never forget.