View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 10:23 PM   #6

Just finished the Mikuni carb swap and spark plug. I was going to do valves also but I've lost my valve gauge. So another day. Working casually but steadily and figuring it out from scratch the job took about 10 hours. I've done a bit of back-yard mechanics, but I'd say if you can change brakes on a car, this is a thing you can do.

A few odds and ends I can offer. These will make sense when you get there. First off I have a 2016 Apollo 250rx which seems no different from earlier models. Now the things of note:
The Cap on the stock carb was riveted in place. I used a dremel with a cutting wheel to take it off (careful not to cut the throttle cable).
You'll have to drop the rear subframe to get the air box and tube detached from the carb (two bolts on top come out, one on each side gets loosened. One of mine was stripped from the factory. Then just push the rear frame down onto the rear tire).
There's a shallow "U" bent pipe the carb mounts to. That will have to come off to get the carb out out of the frame. Be careful not to damage the gasket mounting it to the engine.

Everything else seemed straight forward to me, but everyone has different blind spots. I'm happy to share what knowledge I gained.

Results: I couldn't have imagined. It's a different bike. I do have a caveat here. I let it warm up slow, did the air/fuel - idle. Rode for 10ish minutes slowly around the yard, then on the road to go to the top of the first four gears. That being said, it started fine and idled well for the first time ever. Throttle response existed! It was good! No hesitation, sputtering, or popping. Front wheel left the ground in first and second when I cracked it... it's never done that without lots of encouragement. Well worth the time, money, and effort.