View Single Post
Old 03-31-2017, 11:15 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullybiker View Post
Is that definitely miles, and not km? The reason I ask is that's about 7500 miles which is the current interval on the '300.....
Sully, Thanks for the correction. I was reading km on the chart.

According to the X-300 Owner's Manual:

7.6 miles x 1,000 = 7,600 miles for valve clearance inspection.

Sully, from your description of the process of checking shims on the Ninja, I might have to change my opinion.

My experience with shims has been positive with the parallel twin in my '06 Triumph Bonneville.

Maybe that's where I remember the 12,000 mile number from.

And perhaps on the Bonneville the process was a bit easier than the Ninja....Remove the tank, remove the valve cover, and the clearance can be measured.

My old Bonneville only had 4 valves to check. The new one has eight.

To change a shim, the camshaft has to be removed......however the clearances usually don't change much.

In 25,000 miles on the Bonneville, I changed 1 shim at 12,000 miles. At 24,000 miles, the clearances were still in spec.

I didn't have to buy the whole kit of shims. The Triumph took the same shim as a Honda, so I only bought 1 shim at the Honda dealer.

Perhaps, I would change my opinion about screw type valve adjusters, if the ones on my RX3 would not change every time I check them.

On my TW 200 and DR 650, the screw adjusters work fine, and the clearances only change minimally.

I think it is a matter of a difference in metallurgy between the RX3 and the other bikes....that may be a discussion for another thread.

jb