View Single Post
Old 04-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I don't want to shock you, but I've never worn out a motor-cycle drive chain. All of the chains I used were either Duckworth (USA), Renold (English) or Regina (Italy). I don't know the name of the chain that I had on my two Hondas, or one Yamaha. None were o-ring chains. I only rode two of those bikes a lot of miles. The Ariel Red Hunter 350, and the Indian 80 cubic inch Bonneville Chief. And that Indian had a rigid rear wheel, but the saddle took care of that. What did I do right? Well, I had an infamous concoction that I cooked my chains in. And I cooked them in a double boiler IN THE BACKYARD. If I had cooked them in the house, I would have been killed. Not divorced, killed. My wife was an old school Catholic, and she took that no divorce deal very seriously. Anyway, here is the magic elixer for drive chains. I've even used it on primary chains on racing Nortons and AJS 7R's. Parrifine wax (Gulf Wax for sealing glass jars with food in them, eg home canning) mixed with a double handful of graphite, and in winter, some chassis grease. I cleaned the chains in kerosene just as clean as possible first, of course....ARH
Really ? That's very intersting .
Chains are really all about maintenance , you take it to the next level by coating them prior . I love it .