View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 11:36 PM   #22

First startup

The bike comes with a bottle of blue coolant that says "Volkswagen Accessary Genuine Parts".

We filled the radiator and had a bit left over.

Oil level is read via site glass or window on the case cover. I'm not a huge fan of that, but we will see how it goes. One minor complaint is that it is a tough motor to add oil to because of the exhaust routing. Might need to get creative there.

Fresh fuel was added; it was obvious that some old fuel was left in from the factory. Bad smells for sure.

The biggest surprise came when we opened the battery box and found a super lightweight Lithium battery from the factory!! Score!

We also pulled the air filter out as it seemed a bit dry. (no oil) Access is through the left side cover with 2 screws and it looks like a standard filter and said "Twin Air" on the grommet. There is a plastic frame and mesh screen similar to other brands. Filter was oiled and put back in.

The motor fired up right away, but was obviously very rich. The bike struggled to idle. This is probably due to the 4700+ foot altitude here vs. the close to sea level factory where the bike was last started.

We decided to ride it up and down the street and allow the EFI to try tuning it in. (Did I mention that this bike has an Oxygen sensor too?) After we had things warmed up and the EFI did its thing, we were able to adjust the idle air screw on the throttle body and get a nice steady idle. Restarting was super quick and the motor made no bad sounds.
1993 Fantic Key-Roo 250

Last edited by ChondaChondaChonda; 04-13-2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: clarification